In your blog post #12, you will have the opportunity to try on the role of a newsmaker using vocabulary o the topic "Media. News. Celebrity".
For better understanding of the material of your wordlist, explore new words and expressions used in context in your coursebooks:
- English Vocabulary in Use. Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate: Units 74, 75
- English Vocabulary in Use. Upper-Intermediate and Advanced: Unit 53
- English Collocations in Use: Units 36, 60
- English Collocations in Use. Advanced: Units 42
- Oxford Word Skills. Advanced: Unit 50 (B)
- English Idioms in Use. Intermediate: Units 25
- English Phrasal Verbs in Use: Units 45, 46
- Oxford Word Skills: Idioms and Phrasals: Unit 36
More collocations from news stories can be found in this quiz.
For your blog post, you will have to create a newspaper front page on the basis of template of any leading world newspapers using NewsJack.
1) Open NewsJack
2) Enter the URL of the newspaper. You may want to choose out of these: New York Times, The Telegraph, The Washington Post etc.
3) Now, let the magic begin! You can edit any part of the newspaper by clicking it. You can even change pictures! Your task is to fill the front page with the news about our university using at least 20-25 items of active vocabulary.
Change headlines and content of the news reports, articles and other entries. The main part of the task is to write one report based on a recent event (up to 150 words). TIP: Have your report typed in Word before pasting it onto the Newsjack site.
4) After you have made the changes and typed/pasted your report, press "Share Your Remix". You will see a link to your remix, which you have to copy and paste in your blog.
5) As you can see, there are quite many headlines and reports on the front page. You don't have to change everything, of course (however, you can do it if you wish). Make sure you have one extended report (up to 150 words) and change the content on the part of the newspaper that is available on your screen without scrolling down, i.e. this much:
Here are some tips:
How to replace text
1. Click on the text you want to replace.
2. Delete existing information.
3. Type or paste the text you want to add.
4. Save Changes.
5. Enjoy the result!
How to replace pictures
1. Click on the picture you want to replace.
2. Delete the URL of the picture.
3. Paste the URL of the picture you want to add.
4. Save the changes
5. Enjoy the result!